Friday, September 4, 2009

Mountain Farm Museum


This is a fun, kid friendly and educational hike. The kids and I enjoyed peeping in windows, smelling the flowers and checking out the farm animals of this rural homestead of the past. You will find this open-air museum full of buildings and gardens from about the 1900's. My family and I came away from our walk with a great understanding and respect for the heritage of our country and this region.

We saw how beautiful a simple, self- sufficient life was and still can be. The property included beegums, where families kept hives and produced honey for their own use and to sell. We also saw a beautiful kitchen garden and crop gardens. It was awe inspiring and gave me insight into my own kitchen garden. A chicken coup and a pig pen inspired awe in my children and we all were mesmerized by the sparkling, crystal clear creek that ran through the property.

Exploring the mountain farm made me wish for simpler times, a simpler life. Work was hard in those days and maybe didn't seem simple to those folks but I can't help but wish for just a bit of that life. I'd like to think that we have recreated a bit of this in our own home by growing and preserving some of our own food and buying local foods and products.

This was a great look into mountain life and life in general for rural families during the turn of the century. I loved it and the kids had a fun time as well. I can't wait to go back and see what it looks like in the fall.
Great Smoky Mountains Association
115 Park Headquarters Road
Gatlinburg, TN 37738
or
for more information