Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Epiphany

I am sitting here on this cold blustery day contemplating what it is I want to be when I grow up.  I do this a lot.  Hayden will start pre-k in the fall and that will leave me with a bunch of time on my hands.  I need to figure out what I want to do with that time.  I have to admit that I have been pondering this question even before I had children.  I guess I've never really pictured myself being good at anything.  I just live, I suppose, without a purpose or meaning.

My children gave me great purpose and fulfillment that I don't think I could have captured as completely with a career.  I am pretty good at it and I'm very proud of my great kids.  They are my greatest and most precious part of my life along with their supportive and strong father.  I am blessed to say the least.  I am not blind to my own strengths and talents; however, outside of being a mother.

I come back to the same set of qualities and talents that I seem to have possessed since I was young.  Art, writing, and my tender heart.  I may not be a genius in these areas but it's all I know.  It's all I've ever been really good at.  I've leaned on my talents ever since I could remember and because of my tender heart it was my saviour.  It is who I am and I have continually turned my back and neglected this part of myself over and over again.  I have rejected and abandoned myself over and over again. 

Who would I be without my art and my poems and writings?  I don't know but at this time in my life I shudder at the thought of it.  I am once again embracing these talents; though, this certainly isn't the first time I've recognized that I am truly an artist.  I can't imagine being anything else.  No matter how hard I try to be something else I always come back, for the first time in my life I am actually feeling like I'm home but with one very strong difference.  I must stay true to myself this time around.

I am ever trying to please other people.  I am constantly trying to make other people happy.  I have been willing to stray so far from myself to gain the affection of others that I have made myself miserable.  I can't make everyone happy, believe me I have tried.  I have done nothing but disappoint people and worse of all stomped on my own spirit.  I see now what I am and what I need to do to come back to center.  I have to please myself and do what makes me happy.

I will always have a very tender heart.  I care deeply for the feelings of others.  I am also very outspoken with my feelings.  This will never change and believe me I've tried to change it.  I have resigned myself to this quality in myself and now see it as a great strength. 
I will always be an artist.  This is something I have also tried to change. How easy would it be to just toss it aside and be a librarian or a some other something or other.  It's not easy and I can't do it.  It comes back.  How many people would give a limb to be an artist of anykind.  I didn't want it for the longest and would have gladly given it up.  I can't do it.
I surrender.

This may sound all very dramatic and exagerated but I can tell you it's not.  I know other artists who feel the same.  It's a blessing and a curse.  The curse being the constant feeling of having to make people happy.  The constant feeling of not being good enough.  I have learned that to be truly successful these thoughts must be abandoned.  So, I surrender to it.  I have to, it's who I am.  I can't live without it and I'm not hanging out in my closet anymore.

I'm not going to make everyone happy.  I can't write, paint, draw or be what everyone else thinks.  I have to write, paint, draw and be myself.  My art may not suite you, it may not be what you think I should be.  My tender heart may break and I am prepared.  I am prepared for the first time in my life to take the good with the bad.  I will stop apologizing for not making everyone happy.  I will stop stepping outside myself to please the individual.  I am what I am and that's all that I am and what a wonderful am I am!