Monday, August 17, 2009

A Stroll Up Broad Street

The kids and I frequently venture downtown. Brandy works on Broad St. and we like to go and have lunch with him when we can. He is a manager at Buffalo Wild Wings and it is nice to hang out with him for bit before he gets busy and then walk around. Today the kids and I decided to eat and then walk up the street to the aquarium.

It's an easy walk from BWW to the aquarium and flip flops are all I need to make it there in comfort. I like to push Hayden (the 2 year old) in a stroller still and Willow (the 4 year old) is navigating the streets now like a pro.

We enjoy our little walks in the city - it's a nice way to get out of the house and get a little exercise. Sometimes we even stop at the little ice cream shops along the way. Pino Gelato is really good if you like gelato - mmmmmm. Just before you get to the aquarium is Ben and Jerry's, also a favorite. Not today though, we are on a mission to the aquarium!

The kids and I make it to the aquarium in no time. I wrestle them away from the wading stream outside and we make our way to the members reception to get our tickets. We love the aquarium so much that to save money we buy or get from family a membership. It is worth every penny and it pays for itself in the first month we have it. The aquarium in Chattanooga is our favorite place to go as a family and we go so often that we are now being recognized by the volunteers or employees there. I highly recommend a visit if you haven't already.

We say hi to the sting rays and the jellyfish. The butterfly garden is Willow's personal favorite. Hayden loves the penguins. I love the underwater cavern. The kids, as usual practically run through the exhibits, and we make it out of the Ocean Journey building in less than a half hour. If it was just Brandy and I it would take us all day. Ah well, it was for them anyway. I enjoyed myself despite the rush.

The little wading stream outside is calling our name. There is no way we are leaving without dipping our toes in the water. I always hope that just their feet get wet but it is all in vain someone always falls in or decides to just have a sit.
They did pretty well today. Willow stayed dry and Hayden only got wet from the waist down. Happiness for mom all around.

We make our way back to the car after a good toe dipping. To the left and across the street from Ben and Jerry's is Big River Brewery, a good spot for good brew and good food when the husband and I venture out alone. To my right now is Mellow Mushroom, a nice place for pizza and beer. Just between you and me Lupi's has the best pizza in Chattanooga but we'll save that one for another journey downtown.

We've made it back to the car and just in time for nap time! Just enough walking and fun to wear the kids out. I will also get the opportunity to get a little free time at home! The nap time has continued into the house and is lasting long enough to really make my day. I love days like today.