Monday, August 24, 2009

The Walnut Street Bridge

This is one of my favorite walks and it is very kid friendly and bikes are welcome. The kids and I pack up their little trikes and bikes and we head to the bridge usually in the early morning. We love the early morning light and cool breezes that come off the water in the summer.

This is a historic 100+ year old bridge that spans the TN River (Lake Nickajack). It was once a two lane highway but it's now a walking bridge. You can get to it from Walnut Street on the South Shore or from Frazier Avenue on the North Shore. I highly recommend parking on the North Shore side of the river. There are lots of local shops and places to grab a bite to eat or a drink. Coolidge Park is also there and is another family favorite. If you have a buck you can ride the old carousel - AFFORDABLE FUN!!! You can also play in the fountain outside in the summer. The kids never go for walks across the bridge or to Coolidge Park without towels and swimsuits.

This is an easy area to walk, especially the bridge. My Kids can make it across and back with no problems or whining for rides. We enjoy it because it's a nice switch from the crowded downtown streets on the weekends and the views are beautiful - morning is best in my opinion. Night time walks are fun too when I'm alone or it's just me and the old man. So, all you family and friends next time you visit put this one on your to do list.

p.s. didn't take my camera for this one